You did it! You made it through the difficult college application process and the long, long, long waiting game. You have finally heard back from all the schools you applied to. Now comes the next hurdle…how do I choose a college?
I understand this struggle. I spent so much time thinking about getting accepted that I didn’t actually give myself the time to really think about how I was going to make my final decision. After taking some time to gather my thoughts I compiled a list of 20 questions that I think are important to research before making your college decision. Here they are:
- Does this college have the major/ courses I want to study?
- What is the average class size?
- Can I afford this college? What financial aid opportunities are available?
- What is the town/city/area like where the college is located?
- How large is the school? Both acreage and number of students?
- What is the student to faculty ratio?
- How do students spend their free time on and off campus?
- Are there clubs or organizations that interest me?
- What kind of internships or co-ops are offered through the school?
- What are career services like?
- What are the housing protocols? Do you need to live on campus for freshman year?
- What are the on-campus dorms like?
- Are there meal plan services available?
- What are the facilities/ resources available to students? Such as libraries, labs, career centers medical centers etc.
- What is the freshman year experience like? Are there any programs set up to help the transition from high school to college?
- What is the required curriculum for incoming students?
- Are there any opportunities to study abroad?
- What is the graduation rate?
- What is the school spirit like?
- Can I see myself at this school? Will I be happy here?
I hope this makes the decision-making process a little easier for you. Make sure to get your information from as many sources as you can; college websites, admissions counselors, current students and alumni. The more knowledge you have, the more sure you will be in your final decision.
Remember to enjoy the process. After all, you are choosing your home for the next four years. It is exciting!
If you have any questions about the University of Cincinnati and the decision-making process, don’t be afraid to reach out to me through email. I am happy to answer any questions you have: firstname.lastname@example.org